Emergency Eye Care
Emergency Eye Care
At Prairie Vista Eye & Optical in Liberal, KS, we provide emergency eye care services to help preserve your eyesight and relieve any discomfort.
Eye emergencies can happen at any time, and they require prompt medical attention to avoid potential complications. If you are experiencing an eye emergency, it’s important to seek immediate care at our eye doctor’s office. While some eye emergencies require an emergency room visit, the Prairie Vista Eye Care & Optical eye care professionals have the experience and specialized knowledge to evaluate and treat a range of ocular emergencies, including foreign bodies in the eye and eye infections.
When should you get urgent eye care?
If something gets stuck in your eye, such as metal or wood shavings, we can safely remove the object while minimizing damage to your eye. Our office also treats eye infections like conjunctivitis (pink eye).
Call our office right away if notice any of the following symptoms:
- Burning or stinging eyes
- One eye isn’t moving like the other eye
- Decreased vision or double vision
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Blood on the white part of the eye
- Eye discharge
- Severe itching sensation in the eye
- New or severe headaches
Contact us immediately if you notice any symptoms of retinal detachment like an increase in eye floaters, seeing flashes of light, or noticing a dark curtain on the side of your vision.
Steps to take during an eye emergency
If you are dealing with an eye emergency, follow these steps to prevent it from getting worse.
- If chemicals get into your eyes, flush your eyes with water for 10-15 minutes and don’t cover the affected eye.
- If you have something in your eyes, avoid rubbing them to prevent further damage and reduce the spread of any germs, bacteria, or infections.
- To prevent swelling around your eye after an injury, apply a cold compress. Gently apply the compress to your eyes to avoid irritation.
- Avoid driving if you are experiencing an eye emergency or vision problems.
Emergency eye care services in Liberal, KS
During an emergency eye exam, our doctor will get a full picture of the issue and its potential causes. Depending on the type of emergency, this exam may involve specialized tests for accurate diagnosis. Once our doctor has a better idea of the issue at hand, they will recommend treatment. Treatment may include eye drops or other remedies to promote your recovery. Many eye issues resolve quickly with proper care and attention, and our doctor will provide what you need for optimal recovery.
Eye emergencies can be scary, but it is important to stay calm and act quickly. If you are currently experiencing an eye emergency, please call us immediately for an emergency eye examination.